Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass


[Book Corner: A spider free and brightly lit corner for book lovers like me.]

I finished reading The Selection by Kiera Cass approximately two minutes ago. This is going to be one heck of a book talk. Warm up your drink of choice and get comfortable!

This is a book I'd recommend to someone who isn't a huge reader, although really I say never listen to negative book recommendations (can a recommendation be negative? Hmm) because people always think you won't like a certain book because i.e. you might not like that topic or that author but really each and every book is different and magical and important in its own way, and you can't categorize which one you'll be drawn to without giving it a chance. The reason I think people who don't read quite as much would particularly like this is because it's a really light read. It's about 300 pages and has more of what I'd call light content and simple elements (war issues, utopiac society fail, strange government systems/programs) found in most of the popular books going around in this day and age, including a bit of a love triangle. The writing isn't very advanced so you don't have to put in much effort comprehending the storyline, it's generally straightforward.

This was a really nice read in the way that the plot had a unique twist that kind of gets you addicted in it's fairytale-esque setting. I can't think of many other books pulling off this classic idea in modern light. It followed the dream I think almost all girls experience sometime in life: to be a princess. Or, in this context, the focus is on being the one out of the already selected 35 young ladies to marry the prince by having him choose you. (Okay. Clearly I can't summarize, but there are book jackets for that, no?)
The entire series is published so you won't have to wait for any of the books to come out, which is a HUGE perk minus all the potential spoilers (do not ever Google or ask around about any completed series!!). I don't think this made my favorite book list because for me personally it didn't change my life or alter my perspective as compared to some other books (The Hunger Games, The Book Thief, Life of Pi), but in of itself I had fun finding characters to root for and etc. Don't take a page out of my book, but I'd multitask between notetaking and reading this and it made class all the better. No beach reading needed, at least not down Illinois, but there's always those cold, dreary days coming up soon no?!

Seeing as this is only the first book, who knows! Maybe as the series progresses my entire review will change. For now I can say overall I don't regret reading The Selection at all and I can't wait to see what the next two books will bring.  I'll be sure to let you guys know (and get to that DIY henna paste post). Let me know what you want to see on my blog, if you're planning on reading this, what you think if you've already read this series, or anything else. I especially want to know books you want to see reviewed on my lil bloggie so don't hesitate to comment below or contact me through instagram or twitter (@/spontaneouslyxs for both)

Happiest autumn reading. You never know which book you'll enjoy because...
Life is spontaneously splendid.
Xo always,
Aiman
[If you like my blog, share it! I appreciate any and all acts to get it out there. Love always]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! I make sure to read each and every comment I receive- thank you for your love. x Aiman