Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Here's the ootn for when my best friend and I met Ransom Riggs (author of the bestselling  Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series) and happened to "run into" his wife Tahereh Mafi (author of the Shatter Me series) casually lounging in the lobby. Journey back in time to Wednesday, September 30, 2015 with me.

This is my first jumpsuit though I've wanted one for a while now. It was a very comfortable outfit, even with plastic on my feet, and I tried to not be too weird with this outfit of the night. I kind of wanted a subdued, more...proper(?) look. I layered a vest for a little more dimension (cardis, kimonos, vests and accessories can all add so much to your outfit and bend it to go the way you want it to. Shoes, too!) because I wanted to have an actual outfit to look back on when I remembered this night, not just a plain jumpsuit that I'll wear another time.

(L to R: Ryan from Sleeping At Last and Ransom Riggs)
That way even if I wear the jumpsuit again, the outfit belongs to this one night. Almost like wearing a specific outfit solely on your birthday. Does that make sense? I obviously didn't think anything this deep at the time, but I truly think it's what I was unconsciously doing. Kind of.
The event was part of Ransom's Library of Souls tour, which is the third and last book in his first ever actual series! So cool. Book-related events are full of some of the most intelligent, quirky, friendly and cool people ever. You can't go to one and not make a new friend.  
Jumpsuit: Carson Pririe Scott // Vest: Stiches (in Canada) // Jellies: F21 // Hijab: Unknown // Rings: H&M & Rocksbox (if you want to try it, i have a month free code you can use: spontaneouslyxsxoxo) // Watch: Citizen Eco Drive // Purse: Dynamite (in Canada) // Lipstick: a $30 Urban Decay mixed with a Wet n Wild Wal-Mart color. Class, friends.

Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar Children is a very unique book told with real vintage black and white images scattered throughout the book. It's centered on a group of strange kids, or "peculiars", and the writing was beautiful- nothing Shakespearean or J.K. Rowling level, but much more developed/ less choppy than most YA novels nowadays (ie. the Legend series by Marie Lu or my favorite, The Hunger Games). It's a nice read with a refreshing plot and super believable plot line; the vintage photos, actual evidence of what Ransom Riggs is describing, bump up the scare factor much like "based on a true story" makes you turn on the lights before the movie even begins rolling. There's nothing too gory or romantically inappropriate by any means in this. 

The second book, Hollow City, felt dragged to me. The plot wasn't cheap and progressed well, but some of the excitement of finding out about all these new things in the first book had worn off and I think a little more direct, sharp danger or a really major turn of events was needed. At times I thought okay, there's nothing that's really happening at the moment. Are they closer to their goal? Are they supposed to solve something? Are they looking for something? And it took me longer to get through. I can't wait to start the third, though (currently i'm reading The Heir by Keira Cass, a book centered around the offspring of the main character in The Selection series, which I reviewed here and rereading Hunger Games before the Mockingjay Part 2 release).

Tahereh Mafi (she blogs, too!) is my ultimate fashion queen because she's as wild and mis-matched in her outfits as I am with mine, and she's just a beautiful person. Her personality shines even through the internet and that's something I value a lot: how genuine and friendly someone comes across even when not face-to-face. I gushed as much love as I could to the both of them. Especially Tahereh, because there's just so many things to compliment her on I couldn't stop. And then I ran out from the event clutching my friend's arm, screaming to release some of my adrenaline. It felt amazing in the crisp, fresh air. I could breathe it in for a while. 

Life is spontaneously splendid. Has your fall been cozy? How do you feel about the Ransom or Tahereh's books/author events/ootn's in general?
Aiman Ghani x














No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi guys! I make sure to read each and every comment I receive- thank you for your love. x Aiman